I recently spent a week travelling around Melbourne and the Great Ocean Road. If you haven’t visited this part of the world yet, it is definitely a region to add to your bucket list! While holidaying, we were eating out for most meals. On almost every breakfast menu we came across, we spotted the ever-faithful Bircher Muesli. I loved seeing the different flavour combinations added, and it inspired me to create a simple, cafe-style Bircher to quickly whip up at home. Keep reading for one of the easiest, and most delicious, Birchers you’ll find (pictured).
Happy Baking L x
Ingredients (2 servings):
- 1 cup oats (I used quick oats)
- 1 cup almond milk (or other milk variety)
- 1 green apple, grated
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts & seeds (I used almonds, walnuts and pepitas)
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1-2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Handful chopped dates and/or dried apricots
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
- To serve: banana, yoghurt, shredded coconut, nuts, honey, etc.
- In a bowl, combine oats, apple, nuts/seeds, coconut, cinnamon, chia seeds and dried dates/apricots.
- Stir in the almond milk until a wet consistency is formed.
- Cover and place in the fridge overnight (alternatively, at least 1 hour).
- When serving, add more almond milk or yoghurt if the consistency is a bit firm. Add desired toppings and enjoy 🙂
- Lasts up to 4-5 days. I made a large batch and had ready-to-go breakfasts each day.
- Depending on the season, experiment with different toppings. Warm, poached fruit such as apricots, pears or peaches is a tasty addition.
- Mix up the spices. I love cinnamon, so like to stick to just that. However, you could experiment with cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. to taste.
Do you have a “secret ingredient” for your homemade Bircher? Tell us about it in the comments below!