Have you tried my homemade basil pesto from the blog post on December 9? It is easy to make and simply tastes delicious! However, the recipe does yield quite a lot of pesto. Initially I used the pesto in a chicken, pesto & Parmesan pasta, but I still had a cup or two left over. Keep reading for three uses for pesto that are not only delicious and time efficient, they will impress your guests (or family) as well!
1. Chicken, Pesto, & Semi-Sun dried Tomato Quesadillas (easy version – Sandwich Press)
Multigrain wraps/Flat bread
2 tablespoons of homemade pesto (See recipe on blog post December 9)
1/4 roast chicken, sliced
1/2 cup spinach leaves
1/2 avocado, sliced
1-2 mushrooms, sliced
4 semi sun-dried tomatoes (I bought these at the deli at my local Supermarket)
1/4 cup mozzarella
To serve – lemon, salt & pepper
- Prepare ingredients and turn on sandwich press
- Cover the multigrain wrap (or flat bread) with pesto
- On one half of the wrap, layer ingredients and sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the top
- Fold the other half of the wrap over the topping.
- Place the wrap in the heated-up sandwich press for 5-8 minutes or until browned.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients if making more than one quesadilla.
- Cut into triangles and serve with lemon, and salt and pepper.
2. Pesto & Parmesan Pastry Twists
Ingredients (Makes 10 twists)
2 sheets of puff pastry (To save time, this recipe used store bought pastry)
1-2 tablespoons of pesto
1/4 cup mozzarella
1 handful of Parmesan
Herb Aioli, or other dipping sauce
Egg wash: 1 egg whisked with one tablespoon of milk.
- Preheat oven to 200oC and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- On the baking paper, place first sheet of puff pastry. Cover with pesto.
- Sprinkle mozzarella over pesto. Place second sheet of puff pastry over the top.
- With a pastry brush, coat top sheet of puff pastry with egg wash.
- Cut into rows about 1-2 cm in width. Twist each row and spread evenly apart on baking tray. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake in the pre heated oven for approximately 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with herb aioli or desired dipping sauce.
3. Scrambled Eggs with Pesto
1 tablespoon milk
Salt & Pepper
1 tablespoon pesto
1/2 cup spinach
2 slices bread of your choice (I chose sourdough)
- In a bowl, whisk eggs and milk until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add mixture to frypan and stir occasionally until eggs are cooked through.
- Meanwhile, cook toast. Cover toast with avocado and spinach.
- Add eggs on top of avocado and spinach.
- Warm up pesto (if desired) and place on top of eggs.