“Happiness is Homemade” – Unknown.
At a busy time of year, making tonight’s dinner became surprisingly therapeutic. I had some beetroot and pumpkin in the fridge and decided to try a few new twists on the average salad. I found that cooking took my mind off distractions and I was enjoying creating food to feed others. This recipe was a winner and, once the groundwork was done, was easy to prepare (not to mention delicious!) Keep reading for my debut Roast Pumpkin, Beetroot and Pine Nut Salad.
1/4 pumpkin, cut into cubes
4 baby beetroots
2 cups spinach leaves
1 punnet cherry tomatoes, blistered in frying pan
1/4 cup feta, crumbled
1/4 cup pine nuts (or walnuts, etc.)
Salt & Pepper
Balsamic vinegar (or balsamic vinegar dressing)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius, fan-forced
- Dice pumpkin into cubes and toss in a bowl with a drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper. Place on a lined baking tray and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
3. Wash and scrub beetroots, and cut ends off. Toss in a bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper and wrap in aluminium foil. Place on baking tray and bake for 30 minutes or until cooked (they can be placed in the oven with the pumpkin).
4. Prepare other ingredients – rinse spinach, slice cucumber, slice avocado, cut tomatoes. Fry off tomatoes in a pan on high heat.
5. Roast pine nuts on a baking tray in the oven (approximately 5-10 minutes).
5. Once all elements are completed, arrange each element on the plate or in your serving bowl.
6. Top with feta and pine nuts. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
Are there any ingredients you would have added? Tell us about them in the comments section.
If you do try this out, don’t forget to upload your creations to Instagram and tag @thesportofbaking. Can’t wait!
Happy baking! L x